Saturday 8 October 2016

Resisting the Rebel ~ Lisa Brow Roberts


This book contains a villain pretending to be a hero, a hero pretending to be a villain, a disco-dancing heroine, two overprotective sidekicks, a little bit of bad language, and a whole lot of swoony kissing.
Spirit committee leader Mandy Pennington is secretly in love with her best friend, Gus, but when he hooks up with her archenemy at a party, she decides to win him over once and for all. She just doesn’t know how. But who better to help than hot loner Caleb Torrs?

Caleb’s got his own problems, but when he sees Mandy pining over Gus at a party, he thinks she’s finally smoked the spirit stick and lost her mind. Maybe he has, too, because he just asked Mandy to be his fake girlfriend. She’ll get her loser friend’s attention, and he’ll get his stalker ex off his back. It’s a win-win.

But soon one fake date blends into the next and before he knows it, he actually wants to kiss Mandy. For real. Too bad their plan is working, and Gus is finally noticing the one girl Caleb just might be falling for…

The first word that comes to mind is strange (but in a really good way).
 Mandy is an unconventional, disco dancing protagonist. She is a friend to everyone, and loves a good Mantra.
He is a dark, brooding young man with secrets of his own. 

Sometimes the scariest villains look the most innocent. And heroes don't always wear white. 

 I loved Mandy's overprotective posse but I just did not understand her obsession with creepy Gus. Although her relationship with her brother isn't the best, I enjoyed reading about how they grew closer in the end. 

I really loved Caleb's character because he isn't as stone-hearted as he seems. He has a soft spot for his house keeper, and he just couldn't resist Mandy no matter how crazy he thought she was. He is confident, tender, mysterious and darkly handsome. I also really enjoyed his more sentimental side like when he shows Mandy his notebook, tells her his secret desires and even reengaging in his Power Rangers obsession with J.T. 

Honestly, I found the plot pretty weak in terms of how much action there was/the pace, but it was easy to read and Caleb and Mandy had some cute moments. It surprised me slightly that Mandy was the 'strange' character where as it is usually the love interest who has something different about them. It wasn't a major part, and maybe I'm the only one who thought it/ felt that way, but I found it an interesting 'twist'. I'm not sure if I would read this again but I'm glad I experienced something new.

As usual, please comment suggestions on how I could improve my reviews, or which books I should review next. xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment